Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if a course has a prerequisite or co-requisite?
- Prerequisite, co-requisites, and advisories will be posted under the course information in the online Class Finder for a term after search results.
- A list of Cuesta courses requiring prerequisite verification BEFORE registering can be viewed at this link: computer enforced courses.
What happens if I register for a course that needs a prerequisite or co-requisite which I have not met?
- Courses that require verification of prerequisite completion will block you from registration with a Registration Add-Error Message: Prerequisite and Test Score Error
- If you are a new student, you may need to take the English or math assessment test. Visit the assessment website for more information.
- If you previously have been enrolled in a college level prerequisite course at another accredited institution and received a "C" or better, submit a Prerequisite Clearance Form and your official transcript for clearance.
Do I have to submit a prerequisite clearance request form if I took or I am currently taking the prerequisite course at Cuesta?
- No. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite or co-requisite course, you will be allowed to register for the next level. However, if you do not pass the course with a grade of C or higher at the end of the term, you will be administratively dropped from the next level course.
How do I verify prerequisite courses completed at an institution are equivalent or meet the requirement at Cuesta?
- Submit an official transcript and complete a Prerequisite Clearance Form. Submit the Prerequisite Clearance Form to a Cuesta counselor for evaluation at walk-in counseling. For courses completed at a private or out-of-state institution, attach copies of either catalog course description, syllabus, or course outline with the Prerequisite Clearance Form.
What if I’m currently enrolled in the prerequisite course and want to register for a course that requires its completion?
- If you are enrolled in the prerequisite course at Cuesta, the student records program will allow you to register in the next level course. If you do not pass the prerequisite course with a “C” or better, you will need to drop the next level course.
- If you are enrolled in the prerequisite course at another school, you will need to complete a Prerequisite Clearance Request Form A after you receive a final grade of "C" or more. Cuesta does not accept in-progress coursework from other institutions for prerequisite clearance.
What if I do not have a copy of my transcript and I did not send a copy to Cuesta?
- You will not be able to clear a prerequisite course with coursework completed at an institution other than Cuesta without a transcript.
- For English, you may choose to take an English assessment exam which will serve to clear prerequisites for admittance into English 099, 156, or 201A or view additional alternatives here: English Access Grid.
- For math, you may choose to take a math assessment exam or view additional alternatives here: Math Access Grid.
- If you have submitted the Prerequisite Clearance Form without having sent or attached transcripts, the form will be returned to you and no prerequisite clearance action will be taken.
What if I’ve satisfied the prerequisite through means other than completed coursework?
- Some prerequisites may be satisfied by means other than coursework (e.g. assessment level, certification, license, portfolio, previous knowledge, etc.). Students have the right to challenge prerequisites and co-requisites on various grounds other than completion of coursework, in which case a Prerequisite Challenge Form B must be completed. Refer to Student’s Right to Challenge for specific information.
Where do I submit the clearance or challenge forms?
- Submit in-person to the Academic Counseling Department in the Student Services building (SLO or NCC).
- Mail to: Cuesta College, Counseling Department, P.O. Box 8106, Cuesta College, San Luis Obispo, CA 93403-8106.
- By Fax: (805) 546-3113. Note: Prerequisite Clearance Form will be submitted to Academic Counseling Department for counselor review.
- Plan ahead; prerequisite clearance is NOT IMMEDIATE. (Processing times.)
What if I still have more questions?