Current Visa and/or I-20?

The Cuesta College Admission and Records Office issues the I-20 form for newly admitted international students who are seeking an F1 student visa.

After you receive your I-20 from the Cuesta College Admission and Records Office, you must bring your passport, I-94 form, and other visa documents with you when coming to the Orientation. The International/F-1/Non-Immigrant Counselor will review your visa documents and inform you of the benefits and limitations of U.S. immigration regulations governing F-1 Students.

What is the I-20 form and when do I receive it?

The I-20 is the "certificate of Eligibility" form that schools issue to admitted students who have accepted an offer of admission so they can apply for their F-1 Student Visa in their home country.

I received my I-20 from your office and I'm about to travel outside the U.S. Do I come to the International/F-1/Non-Immigrant Counselor to get the back of my I-20 signed?

No. You are only required to get International/F-1/Non-Immigrant Counselor's signatures on your I-20 AFTER the first time you have entered the U.S. using the Cuesta College I-20. When leaving the country PRIOR to starting Cuesta College your will be traveling on your previous documents.

I have an I-20 from my previous school. Do I still need an I-20 from Cuesta College?

Yes. Even though you may have a valid F-1 Visa and I-20 from another school, you will still need an I-20 from Cuesta College. BCIS requires updated school information on all international/F-1/Non-Immigrant students. To be in compliance with BCIS regulations, you need a valid I-20 from the school you are currently attending and an updated visa.

Important: Your previous school must release certain information to us before we can issue you an I-20. Notify the International Student Office at your previous school about your transfer plans so processing of your I-20 is not delayed.

Can I re-enter the U.S. with my current visa and the I-20 from my old school and get the Cuesta I-20 after I've returned to the U.S.?

No. If you are outside of the U.S. after completing your course of study at your previous school and re-enter the U.S. with an I-20 issued by your previous school, you will be considered in violation of your F-1 status unless you continue at the old school. If you do not receive our I-20 within a time frame that allows you to obtain your visa, you may want to reconsider your travel plans. We'll make every effort to process your I-20 promptly.