Residency Information

Any person enrolling at Cuesta College in credit or non-credit courses is subject to residency requirements as outlined by the California Education Code. New students and those who are absent two semesters or more are required to complete an admission application in order to determine applicable fees.

Resident Student:  A resident student is one who has been a legal resident in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to enroll, and who demonstrates the intent to remain a permanent California resident.

Non-Resident Student: A non-resident student is one who has not had a legal residence in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester. Such students are required to pay non-resident tuition in addition to enrollment fees.

Exemption to non-resident tuition exists when documentation is presented for any one of the following:

  • Attended a California high school, or high school equivalent, for a minimum of three years and earned a California high school diploma, or equivalent (Assembly Bill 540 - AB540);  you MUST submit a completed California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form along with your official (sealed) high school transcript to Cuesta College.

    AB 540 provides an exemption from nonresident tuition for students who attended a California high school for three or more years and graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof (GED or Certificate of High School Proficiency). In the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the student must sign an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

    Students who are admitted under AB 540 are not entitled to resident classification and are not eligible for the Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver, EOPS services, or other programs that require California residency as a condition of eligibility.

  • Full-time credentialed employee of a California public school enrolling in college for purposes of fulfilling credential-related requirements;

  • Seasonal agricultural worker for at least a total of two months of each of the past two years;

  • Full-time employee, or spouse, or dependent of a full-time employee of any of the following college/universities: California Community Colleges, California State University, University of California, or Maritime Academy;

  • Applicants under the age of 19, who have lived under the direct care and control of an adult, other than a parent for two years immediately preceding the resident determination date; and such adult has for the year immediately preceding the residence determination date, had California residence.

  • Applicants who are dependent or ward of the state through California's child welfare system.

WARNING: Providing false information about your citizenship, military status, and/or California residency could result in criminal charges for perjury and/or fraud, with the possibility of imprisonment if you are convicted.

Students who wish to challenge their non-resident status may submit a Statement of Legal Residence reclassification form.