¡Zoom! First Year Experience
Welcome to the
First Year Experience!
The ¡Zoom! First Year Experience (FYE) program at Cuesta College is a rigorous, fast-track program designed to help first-year college students complete their pre-college-level English and Math courses faster, helping them move into university-level classes sooner.
You can apply if you:
- Are a first year Cuesta student (have applied for admission and been accepted); and
- Place below transfer-level English and/or Math (under course-level 200)
Students take 12 units of mandatory, custom-designed courses (one each Math, English and College Success Studies).
Students take 12 units, selected from the options listed on their Student Education Plan
Both semesters: mandatory activities related to the Zoom! FYE program and designed to ensure success.
All ¡Zoom! FYE students have access to the following support to help them:
- Free, designated tutoring services tied to the ¡Zoom! FYE classes
- Faculty mentors who are part of the ¡Zoom! FYE program
- Free core textbooks in Math and English (and also College Success Studies 225 in the first semester)
- ¡Zoom! Support Center, where ¡Zoom! FYE students can meet with a tutor or coach, join a study group, or work on homework with classmates
- Free workshops designed to build skills that help students do well
- Dedicated support from an Academic Counselor assigned to ¡Zoom! FYE students
- Helpful support sessions with an Academic Success Coach (to build skills, access resources, provide guidance)
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units
- Take and pass all courses in the first year
- Meet with academic counselor, Academic Success Coach, and mentors
- Commit to the extra study time required of this accelerated program
- Spend a minimum of 3 hours per week in the ¡Zoom! Support Center
- Attend Orientation and Information Sessions, and Success Workshops
- Sign a contract agreeing to complete all parts of the program
- Contact Amy Pike, North County Campus Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org,
(805) 591-6200, x4264 or
- Claire Hawkins, San Luis Obispo Campus Coordinator, email@example.com, (805) 546-3100, x2811
- You can access the application here. We are accepting applications to the Fall program until August 3, 2018. However, spaces are limited, so the sooner you apply the better your chances of being considered.
- Priority screening will begin on March 15, 2018, and we will continue taking applications until slots are full.
- Remember to complete your Cuesta Online Orientation to Cuesta in order to qualify for priority registration: http://cuesta.edu/student/studentservices/orientation/index.html
Before you apply to ¡Zoom!, make sure you have done the following:
- Applied to and been accepted to Cuesta College (http://cuesta.edu/apply/)
- Received a Student ID number (occurs via email when you are accepted to Cuesta, starts with 900...)