LVN to RN Information
Cuesta College offers the following LVN to RN pathways for currently licensed LVNs:
1. Advanced Placement (AP) LVN to RN (Associate Degree Nursing)
The Advanced Placement (AP) LVN to RN program at Cuesta College is a three-semester, full-time day program offered on the San Luis Obispo campus. Accepted students are admitted into the 2nd semester of the RN program (in January), receiving credit for the 1st semester based on LVN education and work experience. Students then complete the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th semesters of the RN program (in addtion to six additional required courses prior to program entry) to earn an Associate of Science Degree in Nursing (ADN) and become eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination in Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN), leading to licensure as a Registered Nurse.
- Admission is limited to 3 qualified applicants per year.
- Online applications are accepted in June.
- In order to be eligible to apply, applicants must attend a recent mandatory AP LVN to RN Information Session.
- Class selection is determined through an evaluation of academic preparation (GPA), diagnostic assessment test
score (ATI-TEAS), and LVN work experience to determine the most qualified applicants to be selected for interview.
- There are no points and no waitlist for this application. Students who are not selected must re-apply in a future
2. Non-degree 30-Unit Option
Selected students are admitted into the 3rd semester of the RN program (in August) on a space available basis, and complete the 3rd and 4th semesters of the RN program for a total of 30 credits (units). Students who complete this program do not earn a degree, but are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination in Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN) as a non-graduate.
- Opportunities for admission may not exist every year. Admission is granted on a
space-available basis only.
- Printed applications may be requested from the Nursing office after meeting with a Cuesta College counselor and
the Director of Nursing to confirm that all program eligibility criteria have been met.
- Qualified applicants are placed on a wait-list and will be notified in the event of a possible opening.
- The resulting California RN license has limited reciprocity and transferability for further educational opportunities
Licensing Exam and Pass Rates
Graduates of Cuesta's RN program are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Exam for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN) leading to licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN). View Cuesta’s NCLEX-RN Pass Rates.
Cuesta College is a member of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC). The Cuesta College Associate Degree Nursing program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses (BRN). All courses and curricula have been approved by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges.